Vail Ski Resort in Vail, Colorado is one of best known ski resorts in North America for a reason: great snow, fun family events and beautiful lodging. If you're planning a ski vacation, you'll want to check out all that Vail has to offer, starting with their full collage of online photos.
Vail Ski Resort Statistics
Before you hit the slopes, you'll need to know a few details about the mountain and the ski resort.
- The resort typically remains open between mid-November and late-April, although dates may change due to actual snow levels
- Snowfall averages 350 inches per year
- There are more than 5,200 skiable acres
- You can ski more than 190 traditional trails, the longest of which is four miles
- There are 31 lifts, including a gondola and 16 high-speed quads
- More than half of the terrain is geared to the advanced or expert skier, with the remainder fairly well distributed between intermediate and beginner terrain
- Adventurous skiers and boarders can take advantage of three terrain parks, a halfpipe and a superpipe
The Vail Ski Resort has an Appetite for Life program that's based on the belief that food should function as fuel. This has spurred them to make partnerships with the on-mountain restaurants to offer wholesome, hormone-free and organic products, as well as gluten-free meals. The following restaurants are located on the mountain itself:
- Bistro Fourteen: This fine dining restaurant offers beautiful views and interesting entrees like duck quesadillas and lamb kabobs
- Game Creek Restaurant: A French-American fusion restaurant known for its steaks and extensive wine list
- Bailey's Coffee House: Offers Starbucks coffee, fresh baked goods and a selection of candy bars for a mid-ski snack
- Buffalo's Restaurant: A quick stop for hungry skiers, Buffalo's primarily offers bread bowls with soup and chili, salads and sandwiches
- Golden Peak Grill: An eclectic mix of foods right outside of one of the terrain parks
- Gondoly's Pizza: An inexpensive stop-off that offers pizza by the slice
- Marketplace at Eagle's Nest: A full-service cafeteria with a soup and salad bar, a pasta bar, grilled foods and sandwiches
- Mid-Vail Restaurants: Four restaurants in a single complex including a kid-friendly option and a beautiful terrace cafeteria
- Two Elk Restaurant & Belle's Camp: These cafeteria restaurants offer breakfast and lunch with options ranging from sandwiches to wraps to pizza
- Wildwood Restaurant & Pavilion: Authentic and delicious BBQ food for a reasonable price
Vail offers a number of exciting events throughout the season that will add spice to your family vacation.
- Snow Daze: The annual Snow Daze event comes around in early December and offers a number of parties and concert venues by major performers.
- Holidaze: A family affair offered in late December with free events geared towards children. You and your kids can enjoy snowman making contests, ice shows and family-friendly concerts.
- Carnivail: Carnivail takes place during Mardi Gras with a traditional Fat Tuesday parade, a crawfish boil and free concerts.
- Spring Back To Vail: Spring Back to Vail is an end of season party with free concerts, an annual pond-skimming championship and other on-snow events.
Planning Your Trip
You can plan and book your Vail ski trip by checking out their website's Plan Your Trip page. Based on your family, your personality and your personal vacation needs, you can plan a trip that is custom-made for you.