The Canaan Valley ski resort is located in the mountains of West Virginia. Even though the resort is relatively small compared to the big mountain skiing you find in Vermont, Colorado or Utah, it doesn't sell the ski experience short on fun.
Canaan Valley Ski Resort Statistics
For a general picture of what you'll find when you visit the Canaan Valley ski resort, check out the basic mountain statistics:
- 850 foot vertical drop from the top of the mountain to the bottom
- 39 trails
- Three ski lifts including one quad lift and two triples
- Two terrain parks
- Snowmaking on 50 percent of the trails
- Well balanced terrain - 30 percent beginner terrain, 40 percent intermediate terrain and 30 percent advanced terrain
Canaan Valley Resort Amenities and Activities
The amenities of the Canaan Valley resort aren't limited to skiing. Canaan Valley is actually a West Virginia state park and the resort itself is nestled on a plateau overlooking the valley. The beautiful setting makes it the perfect place for a number of recreational activities during every season.
Onsite Resort Activities
- Snow tubing and airboarding
- Ice skating
- Four star, 18-hole golf course available during the summer months
- Hiking and biking
- Scenic chairlift rides
- Climbing wall and Eurobungy
- Summer turtle slides - use the winter snow tubing course for summer tubing fun
During the spring and summer months you can visit the nature center at Canaan Valley Resort State Park. You can participate in guided nature walks, browse the selection of nature books and sign your kids up for youth programs. You can also plan your resort trip in order to attend special nature center events. Check their schedule for events that include hiking and trail clean-up activities.
Other local attractions include:
- Blackwater Falls
- Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge
- Dolly Sods Wilderness Area
- Seneca Caverns and Seneca Rocks
- Smoke Hole Caverns
In addition to excellent activities, the Canaan Valley Resort offers a number of onsite amenities. These include:
- Beach club pool and fitness - The onsite indoor and outdoor pools, sauna, spa and fitness center are perfect for relaxing, playing and staying in shape
- Arcade/billiard room - All the latest pool and video game equipment open for use by families and resort guests at night
- Shopping - The resort offers gift shops and pro shops for golf and snow sports
- Massage - The resort offers onsite massage services year round by a licensed massage therapist
- Kidz Korner - When you hit the slopes or the golf course, you can check your child into the resort's Kidz Korner for fun games, crafts and other activities
Lodging and Dining
When staying at the Canaan Valley Resort, you can choose from a number of different lodging styles. If you enjoy vacationing with the comforts of a hotel, you can reserve one of the 250 guest rooms or suites in the resort. If you prefer more private quarters, you can rent a two-, three- or four-bedroom mountain cottage or cabin. If you like your vacations on the rugged-side, you can reserve one of the resort's 34 camp sites.
The resort offers six onsite dining options including cafeteria-style dining, plated-and-served gourmet dining and casual pubs.
Booking Your Vacation
Depending on the time of year, you'll want to check out either the Summer or the Winter Canaan Valley website for the latest vacation deals and packages. You will need to call their reservation office to book your vacation, but you don't want to miss out on their online specials, so always visit their websites before you call.