Located in Alta, Utah, the Alta Ski Resort offers a family friendly ski experience in the beautiful Rocky Mountains. Winter skiing runs between mid-November and late-April as conditions permit, so plan on booking your holiday or spring break trip accordingly with your family and friends.
Alta Ski Resort Statistics
The Alta ski resort offers great snow conditions, lots of terrain and a balance of beginner, intermediate and advanced trails, making it the perfect resort for families and large groups of mixed-ability skiers. Here are a few of the resort's stats:
- More than 115 runs, with 25-percent designed for the beginner skier, 40-percent intermediate and 35-percent advanced
- 2,200 skiable acres
- More than 540 inches of annual snowfall, plus the ability to make snow as needed
Every ski resort caters to a specific clientele. It's important that you know a couple things about the Alta ski area before you purchase your tickets.
- This is a ski-only resort, so snowboarders will have to leave their boards at home
- Alta does not offer night skiing
- You have the option to purchase AltaSnowbird tickets that allow you to use the Alta ski area and the Snowbird ski area; since Snowbird allows snowboarding and offers a terrain park, this is a great way to add flexibility to your ski vacation
The Alta Ski Resort offers ski-in/ski-out lodging at five different base lodges for easy access to the mountain, restaurants and other entertainment options.
The Alta Lodge offers a number of family-friendly amenities including a complimentary kids' program, wireless Internet access and a full compliment of tasty food. After a hard day on the slopes you can schedule an in-room massage to help you rest and relax.
Alta Peruvian Lodge
The Alta Peruvian Lodge includes breakfast, lunch and dinner in their rates, making eating on vacation an easy feat. You can enjoy the outdoor heated pool and the flexible lodging options ranging from dorm-style sleeping to a two bedroom suite, perfect for any budget.
Alta's Rustler Lodge
Alta's Rustler Lodge offers everything from spa and business services to a heated pool, exercise room, jacuzzi and early morning stretch class. You can also enjoy the complimentary tea table, area shuttle and bathrobe.
Goldminer's Daughter Lodge
The Goldminer's Daughter Lodge is situated right next to the Alta ski area ticket office and several ski lifts, providing the easiest access for ski-in/ski-out lodging. This lodge promises friendly and casual service, perfect for families.
Snowpine Lodge is Alta's oldest and most rustic resort. If you want a cozy lodging experience, this lodge is also the smallest, offering everything from single rooms to dorms. Rates include a full breakfast and a four-course dinner.
If you'd prefer to rent a house or condo for a more private or quaint experience, you can find local rentals on the Alta ski area website.
Nordic skiing can provide a perfect break from the downhill experience, and may even appeal to family members who don't enjoy downhill skiing. The Alta ski area offers a five-kilometer track as well as a mid-mountain track available when conditions permit.
When you want to eat on the mountain, but you're ready to take a break from your hotel's food service, you still have a number of options ranging from fine dining to casual fare. Consider trying the following options:
- Alf's Restaurant: Cafeteria restaurant with casual dining options
- Watson Shelter: Cafe specializing in hamburgers
- Collins Grill: European cafe with French cuisine
- Baldy Brews: Espresso, baked goods and beer
- Albion Grill: Cafeteria style restaurant
- Alta Java: Coffee, lemonade and waffles
- Shallow Shaft: Intimate restaurant for romantic moments
Making Your Plans
Check out the Alta Ski Area website to peruse pictures, check rates and book your reservation. You can find information on lessons, camps and other specialty programs offered throughout the year. You can also learn more about what Alta offers during the summer. Just because the ski lifts shut down, doesn't mean that the mountain recreation shuts down, too.